Here, finally, are directions for the pudding you tasted many moons ago. We thought it was intricate enough that S would like it, haha!
No measurements—I rarely cook with that level of discipline. Maybe someday I’ll formalize this recipe. In the meantime, I present to you…
Fit for Princess S Rice Pudding
- The night before: Soak almonds, raisins & chia seeds.
- Make a pot of rice. I may have used sushi rice, but would usually use jasmine or basmati.
- Make tea by boiling a large pinch of anise seeds in a cup of water.
- Boil milk with a dash of powdered ginger and a dash of cinnamon.
- Strain the anise tea and add to the milk.
- Add the soaked almonds, raisins, chia seeds, and milk to the rice.
- Add a dash of turmeric and blend. I used an electric hand mixer.
Medjool dates, unsalted pistachios and/or soaked mangos (or other fruits) can also be substituted, as long as the fruits are sweet enough not to curdle the milk.